Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 22, 2007

THROWBACK THURSDAYS 28




"Captain CAAAAAAAVEMAAAAAAAAANNNN!!!!" Another one of my favorites as a kid. Sorry to all, I've been swamped with other artistic duties and have fallen behind on my usual Thursday bit. Hopefully this strikes a cord out there for all you cartoon finatics. Captain Caveman's powers include super-strength, a variety of useful objects hidden inside his fur, and a club that allows him to fly and from which pops out different tools he uses to fight crime (Genius). And who might you say are the lovely ladies flanking to the left and right of Mr. Cavey there? The Teen Angels of course. Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels (1977–1980) was a Saturday morning cartoon created by Joe Ruby and Ken Spears and produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions. It was originally broadcast on ABC as part of the programming block Scooby's All-Star Laff-a-Lympics, which also included Scooby-Doo, Dynomutt, Dog Wonder, and Laff-A-Lympics.


9 comments:

Artytoons said...

The great Mel Blanc voiced Cavey, whose "furball with big nose and feet" design was based on H-B's "Wacky Races'" Slag Brothers.

Laurel Page voiced Taffy Dare the blonde in the green dress who usually came up with crazy ideas to catch the crooks.

Vernee Watson voiced DeeDee Sykes the African-American girl in the go-go boots who usually pieced together the clues to solve the mystery.

Marilyn Schreffler (later the voice of Olive Oyl on Hanna-Barbera's late 1970s-era "Popeye" cartoons) voiced Brenda Chance the brunette who was bumbling and usually terrified but yet helped clue things together. Gary Owens provided the opening narration.

It was a mix of Flintstones caveman/animal gags, Scooby Doo mystery solving, and a "Charlie's Angels-like" female crime-solving trio in one show. One of my favorites too!

"Unga Bunga...bad time for power failure!!"- Cavey when his club runs of power while flying.

Dustin Foust said...

Wow that brings back some memories. Very nice work!

Dustin Foust said...

Dude I've been checking your stuff out for a while now. I've been trying to get into AG for sometime so I like to see other artist from AG's work. Anyway I was looking over your blog and my friend Andy happened to stop by. He said he knows you from back in the day and wanted me to say hi for him. Andrew Wilson is his name. What a small world we artist live in. Hey if you could hook me up with some pointers on who I could talk to at AG that would be awesome.

Mukpuddy said...

Nice job dude, I loved Cap'n Caveman as a kid, got myself that toy too!!!

Robert Pope said...

There's a totally bitchin' Captain Caveman t-shirt at Sax (hyuk) Fifth Avenue, if you're willing to part with 45 bucks. Great post!

kaNO! said...

Awesome SaX, you got the illest throwbacks man!!

Blayne Burnside said...

Looks awesome!

Especially DeeDee :)

E said...

ahahha, that nose bit is killin me, slick stuff as usual.

Kevin Langley said...

I love your throwback thursday posts. If only the Captain Caveman cartoon looked a tenth as good as yours. Great job!